Support for SSH key when connecting to hosts [DONE]

markus
centeractive people

Support for SSH key when connecting to hosts [DONE]

Postby markus » 16 Jul 2012, 10:46

It should be possible to use ssh keys (and/or further ssh infrastructure) to connect to hosts with Retrospective
hackinjack

Re: Support for SSH key when connecting to hosts

Postby hackinjack » 16 Jul 2012, 13:53

Need an option to be able to input a private key or filename containing private eye to use logging in to remote hosts instead of password option.

Would also need to provide for prompt for passphrase in case the keypair was generated with that.

Additional very nice feature to have would be ssh proxycommand, e.g.

Sometimes you can’t make a network connection directly to the server you wish to access; you have to first SSH to an intermediate server and then on to the server you want. This can also be automated. First make sure that you have keys and agent forwarding set up so that you can SSH to the intermediate server in one command and from there to the target server in a second command, each without any prompting:

Code: Select all

$ ssh gateway
gateway $ ssh db

Then in your local SSH config, specify that a connection to the target server should be proxied through the intermediate server, using the -W option:

Host db
  HostName db.internal.example.com
  ProxyCommand ssh gateway -W %h:%p

Then you can just do:

$ ssh db

And, after a brief pause while SSH chugs through authenticating twice, you’ll have a shell on the second server. The -W option was introduced in OpenSSH 5.4. If you have an older version you can achieve the same result with Netcat instead.

Courtesy of smylers: http://blogs.perl.org/users/smylers/201 ... -tips.html
Kevin
centeractive people

Postby Kevin » 17 Jul 2012, 13:23

Hi Jack, many thanks for taking the time to detail the SSH key procedure.

I will ask one of our developer's to take a look at what you have written in the next few days, mainly to see whether we understand correctly what would be needed. (technical spec/requirements etc.)

If this is the case, we will put this forward as a feature candidate in one of the next development cycles. Our development cycles generally run monthly so hopefully we'll be able to do something that weill help you reasonably soon.

If there are any unclear areas, I hope you won't mind if we contact you.

Regards, Kevin
ktoso

Postby ktoso » 30 Aug 2012, 23:45

Hi Kevin / all,
I'm glad this has been brought up already because it's basically a show stopper for using retrospective on any "real" server environment IMHO.
I can't imagine using just using plain passwords to login to servers (due to security reasons) - ssh keys are the way to go and I'm sure you guys know that.

Anyway, a big "+1" for this feature request.
I'm looking forward to using retrospective once that's implemented - seems like it really may help out, or even replace, my smart "grep -n / tail / head" combos :-)

--
Cheers,
Konrad
adamw

Postby adamw » 04 Sep 2012, 21:23

+1 as well. I'm only using (multiple) ssh keys to login to remote hosts. So I can't even try the tool right now :)

Adam
centeractive
Site Admin

Postby centeractive » 05 Sep 2012, 15:38

Hi guys, thanks again for giving us some feedback about the importance of this feature and some technical requirements/aspects.

I just wanted to let you know that because of the number of people who've expressed a need for this we've bumped up the priority and can confirm it will definitely be in either the next release (2.1.2) or, at the latest, the one after that.

Regards, Kevin
tom.bujok
centeractive people

Postby tom.bujok » 10 Sep 2012, 13:52

This issue is identified by the following number in our internal issue tracker - #1128
Please check the release notes to find out when it's done.
Lukasz
centeractive people

Postby Lukasz » 05 Oct 2012, 15:25

Hello All,

I'm happy to let you know that we just released a new version of Retrospective (2.1.2) which supports SSH key authentication.

Read more here : http://forums.centeractive.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=411

Enjoy ;-)

Cherrs,
Lukasz
ktoso

Postby ktoso » 21 Nov 2012, 00:56

Hey guys,
thanks for implementing this :-)

I've tried the tool now and it's pretty cool for looking up airbrake errors in scope of logs on the server...
Let's see if I stick to it or just keep tailing my way through somehow :-)

Cheers!

Return to “Feature Requests”