Quickly "zoom to" errors/warnings using summary bar chart

tvjames

Quickly "zoom to" errors/warnings using summary bar chart

Postby tvjames » 12 Dec 2012, 02:47

Hi Guys,

I'm loving the tool so far, thanks for a fantastic product. I use it pretty much anytime i need to examine log files, rather than opening a text editor.

The one thing I'm craving in the UI is the ability to "zoom to" errors/warnings based on the summary chart that appears to the left of the "Start Search" button. It would be great to be able to say double-click on one of the bars in the chart and have it filter the log output to just the period of time that bar represents, rather than manually having to add a Date/Time filter to the search criteria.

Cheers Tom.
tom.bujok
centeractive people

Re: Quickly "zoom to" errors/warnings using summary bar char

Postby tom.bujok » 12 Dec 2012, 15:50

Hi Tom,

Wow, that's a really nice idea! We will try to address it in one of the next releases.

It's perfect that you like the tool. Our goal is to make it the best log viewer/analyzer on the market - and to keep it cheap!
This year there will be still one minor release. The releases next year will bring some significant changes that should make Retrospective much, much better!

Tom
lotsalogs

Postby lotsalogs » 20 Aug 2014, 14:39

I'd also like to see this.
urs.minder
centeractive people

Postby urs.minder » 28 Feb 2015, 11:15

tvjames wrote:The one thing I'm craving in the UI is the ability to "zoom to" errors/warnings based on the summary chart that appears to the left of the "Start Search" button. It would be great to be able to say double-click on one of the bars in the chart and have it filter the log output to just the period of time that bar represents, rather than manually having to add a Date/Time filter to the search criteria.

Retrospective version 3.4.0 has just been released and it contains a feature similar to the one you requested. When you click a bar in the chart, a new search tab is created with search criteria that match the data represented by that bar. On there, If you press the search button, the delivered result should correspond to what the original chart bar shows.

Return to “Feature Requests”