Please add ability to connect to windows hosts [DONE]

bthurber

Please add ability to connect to windows hosts [DONE]

Postby bthurber » 22 Jan 2013, 16:17

I would like to be able to tail logs on windows servers. I know I can map a drive letter and do it that way, but that doesn't work well with many hosts. Please add the ability to connect to a windows host by share without using drive letters. Thanks!
tom.bujok
centeractive people

Re: Please add ability to connect to windows hosts

Postby tom.bujok » 25 Jan 2013, 14:05

Hi.

Thanks for your feedback! We also want to support Windows hosts in a better way, but there is no really standardized way to access them.
Could you elaborate a bit more on the way you would like to have it implemented? Would you be willing to install the SSH servers on your Windows boxes?
Telnet is probably not an option. It's insecure and thus it's pretty often disabled by default.
We have also looked at the psexec and winexe tools, but none of them really convinced us...
We are looking for an option to invoke windows shell commands in a standardized way to support it in a generic way.

Kind regards,
Tom
jdigital

Postby jdigital » 30 Jan 2013, 20:18

I wasn't the person who posted the original request, but it seems to me (as a Windows users) that the best solution would be a lightweight client that you create specifically for this purpose. An SSH server is too heavyweight (too much configuration) and relying on the Windows command line ("shell") is unlikely to provide you with the capabilities and flexibility that you need.
bthurber

Postby bthurber » 31 Jan 2013, 14:03

I agree with the previous post that a lightweight client would be nice. It could be a difficult "sell" to the server admins at first for security reasons. Not saying that it couldn't/shouldn't be done, but there is a hurdle.

My interest is primarily in tailing log files. One thing I have noticed with all of the windows log tools except baretail - is that they tend to choke on large files. I think they try to read the whole file first before tailing whereas baretail starts reading from the end or some other magic. Having a lightweight client would allow more control possibly.

Another possibility that could work today is to allow us to enter paths

\\servername\sharename\folder\folder\file1.log
\\servername\sharename\folder\folder\file2.log
Lukasz
centeractive people

Postby Lukasz » 18 Feb 2013, 09:53

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

Connecting to windows hosts:
We’ll consider both options; however I’m afraid that installing some clients on the server side might not be well seen by administrators :-), but we are not excluding this possibility.
Accessing \\servername etc without explicit network drive mapping makes sense to me. We’ll experiment with the CIFS/SMB protocol to see if this would work for us.

Tailing:
With Retrospective you should not observe such ‘choke’ effect on large data. Similar to linux tail our solution also takes a portion of data from the end of a file. This is meant for tailing on both local and remote files.

Thanks
Lukasz
lokikameoleon

Postby lokikameoleon » 19 Jun 2013, 19:00

Lukasz - Do you have an update on accessing windows hosts? The majority of log files I view are on remote hosts that cannot have SSH installed but do have shared directories that we access the same way as bthurber. I'm hoping to find a better log file viewer and this seemed like a good possibility until ran into issues. Here is the error I receive when attempting to drag & drop right click -> open with Retrospective:

"Configuration autofind failed unexpectedly - possible cause: Path does not exist [/servername/directory location/logfile.log @ local drive]"
Lukasz
centeractive people

Postby Lukasz » 16 Aug 2013, 10:08

Hi

i cannot give you any specific date regarding the windows host. We already have had few discussions on how to approach it and it is still in our backlog.

I noticed that accessing mapped drives on windows was broken in the previous release. That is why you get the error message. I opened a ticket for that and we'll fix it in the next version.

Thanks
Lukasz
marek.psiuk
centeractive people

Postby marek.psiuk » 03 Mar 2015, 07:22

Hi Guys,

I'm pleased to say that the recently released Retrospective version - 3.4.0 - solves all the problems mentioned in this thread :).

I must admit that these solutions are still unofficial but our experience indicates that you can easily drag & drop files from Windows network shares and search/monitor them without any problems. Not only drag & drop works fine, but you can easily browse network shares in the File Browser. It will work fine both for mapped drives and the network shares accessed with the use of the \\servername\sharename notation. Performance of file browsing inside Retrospective should be quite pleasant as we made some low-level optimizations that overcome common Java deficiencies in this field.

If you prefer to access your Windows box through SSH server of Cygwin environment instead of network shares, you should also definitely give a try and checkout the 3.4.0 release. SSH server inside Cygwin can be installed and configured in several minutes so it is not a big deal. In order to successfully connect Retrospective to your Windows machine, you need to install the ‘procps’ package inside Cygwin.

We would be grateful for information about any shortcomings, problems or inconveniences that are spotted by you when using these unofficial features for accessing logs on windows hosts. Currently the known limitation is that modification of Execution Priority (see Section 3.3.8 of the User Manual - http://bit.ly/1q82Q4i) may not work on Cygwin.

All the best,

Marek

Return to “Feature Requests”