Substitution variables

waclaw
centeractive people

Substitution variables

Postby waclaw » 04 Oct 2012, 18:14

Hi

Substitution variables is a very cool feature of Opensphere. However I miss 2 things about them:

• It's not possible to nest one variable in another. I have variables like HOST, PORT and DATABASE, and I would like to create CONNECTION variable by specifying: jdbc:mysql://%HOST%:%PORT%/%DATABASE%
  • It's not possible to rename variables, which would be handy sometimes
urs.minder
centeractive people

Re: Substitution variables

Postby urs.minder » 20 Oct 2012, 11:56

waclaw wrote:It's not possible to nest one variable in another. I have variables like HOST, PORT and DATABASE, and I would like to create CONNECTION variable by specifying: jdbc:mysql://%HOST%:%PORT%/%DATABASE%

Because of the many different types of substitution variables, such a feature could easily lead into confusion. In case of mutual referencing (recursively nested) substitution variables, we could also run into a never ending looping process while trying to resolve the actual value.

Since substitution variables are defined in a single dialog for each project, we think its justifiable and saver if you define them without the possibility of nested variables. In your case you would have to retype the actual values of HOST, PORT and DATABASE in order to create the CONNECTION variable.
Last edited by urs.minder on 20 Oct 2012, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
urs.minder
centeractive people

Postby urs.minder » 20 Oct 2012, 11:59

waclaw wrote:It's not possible to rename variables, which would be handy sometimes

Thanks Waclaw! This is a valuable request we're going to implement soon. I just created bug #1564 in our bug tracking system.
mahi

Postby mahi » 08 Oct 2013, 14:41

The reason for imposing this as a minor version was a bug we discovered on Linux platforms where the jvm would just hang in an RV message exchange.
ileatherjackets http://www.ileatherjackets.co.uk
steve mcqueen jacket steve mcqueen jacket
SY0-301 dumps SY0-301 dumps

Return to “Feature Requests”