Filtering files in profiles [DONE]

lsuder

Filtering files in profiles [DONE]

Postby lsuder » 31 Aug 2012, 14:11

Hi, I find Retrospective very usefull, gj.

One thing I'd like to see in app is 'filtering' sources. my case is that I'm monitoring many environments per customer etc. So I defined proflies per each customer/env (let's say that I have 20 profiles), each profile contains at least 10 files. There are cases when I want to tail/search only one specific file from a profile, but I don't want to modify it. Currently in order to monitor single file I have to create a new proflies, that may lead me creation of let's say 20(profiles) * 10 (files) = 200 distinct profiles.
I'd like to have ability to choose one proflie and then somehow filter out sources I don't want to monitor in current search/tail.
I've played with you're app only a little bit, so maybe I didn't found this option (UX issue? So far from my perspective UX is perfect).

Thanks,
Lukasz
centeractive
Site Admin

Re: Filtering files in profiles

Postby centeractive » 04 Sep 2012, 11:14

Hi Lukasz,

Thanks! Glad you like Retrospective! :D

As for filtering of sources: Yes, I understand what you are looking for and, in fact, we had this same request from one of our Operations staff (at a telecomms supplier), similar reasons etc. but we didn't have time until now due to features that we regarded as higher priority.

I will add a feature request for one of the next releases, we have 4-5 week development cycles so hopefully it will drop into the next one.

As a temporary solution, can I suggest you add a new User Profile in the Source tab, then rename it (double click on name) to "temp1" (or whatever) and then simply mark and drag those files you are only interested in from the original profile in to this temporary profile(Retrospective just creates a copy of these files in the new profile). You can delete these files afterwards and maybe use this "temp" profile as the "modifieable one" until we have implemented a suitable solution.

Please let us know if you have any other requests, we are always interested to hear what our users think of the product, what they like (or don't) etc.

Regards, kevin
urs.minder
centeractive people

Re: Filtering files in profiles

Postby urs.minder » 12 Sep 2014, 20:33

lsuder wrote:I'd like to have ability to choose one proflie and then somehow filter out sources I don't want to monitor in current search/tail.

The requested feature is available since Retrospective release 3.3.0.

The Profile Manager lets you disable/enable individual data sources of a profile. This can be done by deselecting/selecting the check boxes that appear in front of the table rows. Disabled data sources are easily recognizable by their grayed out text. Disabled data sources are ignored during the log data search and monitoring process.

Return to “Feature Requests”