Simple log files viewer

spooner

Simple log files viewer

Postby spooner » 30 Jul 2012, 09:26

Hi, it's me again :)
This is actually my colleague's suggestion, but I'd find it useful as well.
Would you consider adding a simple log file viewer? Just a window with a scroll bar, nothing more. You could open it from the sources tab or something.

thanks very much,
spn
fz750
centeractive people

Re: Simple log files viewer

Postby fz750 » 15 Aug 2012, 18:18

Hi,yes, we have this item on our "todo" list. It was one of the items I originally suggested as I wanted to open the log file up to browse at the place in that logfile where a result had been found. (to see what other "junk" was around that might be related)

In principle, it sounds easy - but the problem is that we have customers (like the place I worked at before here) who have logfiles from 100mb to (in some extreme cases) 1Gb in size, and the file management "issues" that our developers would have to contend with in navigating around such large files meant that we gave it a lower priority at the time simply because it was quite difficult to do (elegantly) and we only have so much capacity. (we have a long wish list :lol: )

However, we will certainly be considering this in possibly 2-3 development cycles. We want to address the DB search first which is also no small matter.

Regards, Kevin
urs.minder
centeractive people

Re: Simple log files viewer

Postby urs.minder » 12 Sep 2014, 19:50

DB search is definitely out of scope for the next few releases of Retrospective. We prefer to put our focusing on Retrospective core related features, which in our mind must be related to log files. Therefore a simple log file viewer should be provided latest after the upcoming release 3.4.0.

Return to “Feature Requests”