Ability to NOT save a ssh password/passphrase [DONE]

Szpak

Ability to NOT save a ssh password/passphrase [DONE]

Postby Szpak » 14 Dec 2012, 19:12

It's great that Retrospecive supports monitoring files through SSH, but as a security paranoid I would like to not keep my SSH password/passphrase stored unencrypted on a disk.

One possible possible solution would be an integration with keyring available on Linux and Mac (don't know about Windows), but it would be probably hard to implement from Java. The simpler solution is to add a "save my password" (or "do not save my password") on a host add/edit screen. When used Retrospective should ask for a password for given key on the application startup (or then given connection is requested for the first time) and remember it only until shutdown. If the same SSH key is used for many hosts Retrospective should only ask once.

Marcin
markus
centeractive people

Re: Ability to NOT save a ssh password/passphrase

Postby markus » 30 Aug 2013, 11:37

Hi,

we have discussed the keyring solution. It is rather not feasible for us, because we also support Windows.
Meanwhile, we support the usage off SSH keys instead of passwords.

Cheers, Markus
urs.minder
centeractive people

Re: Ability to NOT save a ssh password/passphrase

Postby urs.minder » 12 Sep 2014, 20:22

Szpak wrote:I would like to not keep my SSH password/passphrase stored unencrypted on a disk.

Since Retrospective release 3.1.0, all passwords are encrypted. The program does not store any unencrypted passwords to disk anymore.

Return to “Feature Requests”