OS folders vs. file system

waclaw
centeractive people

OS folders vs. file system

Postby waclaw » 05 Oct 2012, 14:59

Hi

I'm not sure what's the relation between folders/test cases I create within Opensphere project and file system directories and files. I noticed, that when I create a folder or test case in Opensphere, there are no immediate changes in the file system. When I add a JMS producer for example, and create a message for it, the folder is created, and the message file is written to it automatically (i.e. I don't have to choose the location manually). Now, when I export the producer from a test case and import it into another test case, the file path remains unchanged. However, if I import it into folder, the path is changed to reflect the new location.

Example, to make things clear:

• I have a TC1 test case and a JMS producer p1 in it with messages defined. The messages are saved in ./Suite/TC1/p1.jms file. I export p1 to a file.
  • I create a TC3 test case and import p1 into it. New p1's messages file is still ./Suite/TC1/p1.jms, so the same as above. Components share the file I guess, so when I change it in one of them, another component should see the changes as well. It doesn't see them though until I restart the project.
  • When I import p1 into folder F1, its message file path changes to ./F1/p1/p1.jms (note the extra p1 directory). This time it is an independent copy.

In addition, when I rename a test case or a folder, this change is not applied to the file system. Paths also doesn't change.

Could you please clarify the relation between OS folders and file system directories, and what behavior I should expect when exporting/importing resources?

your help will be greatly appreciated
waclaw
urs.minder
centeractive people

Re: OS folders vs. file system

Postby urs.minder » 07 Oct 2012, 12:36

First at all Opensphere folders and test cases are similar to some extent. The folder can be used for atomic (standalone) program modules. You can run program modules within a folder all together by activating the run button while a folder is selected. The execution of individual program modules is not dependent on each other. The execution of program modules in a test case however is dependent on successful execution of all preceding program nodes in the test flow chart. Test cases also have comparison program modules but folders do not. Comparison results are reported in a specific tabbed pane that is available for test cases only.

On the File panel within the tool preferences dialog (select Tool/Tool Options... from the main menu) you can find a check box labeled "Automatically define name and location of messaging component files". If this check box is selected, Opensphere automatically saves the message definition file to a location on the file system that reflects the structure of the Opensphere project. Folder nodes, test suites and test cases each will be represented by a corresponding directory on the file system. The user however is free to save the message definition file to the location of his choice.

When you import a message component to an Opensphere folder or a test case, its message definition file should always be copied to a location that follows above described rule and it should never be shared by two messaging components. If this is the case today, this is considered to be a bug that will be fixed very soon.

When you rename Opensphere folders, test suites or test cases, those changes today are not done on the file system, hence you'll be left with a structure mismatch between the Opensphere project and the directory structure on the file system. The message definition file is not renamed either if you change the name of a messaging component. Opensphere displays a resource overview when you select the top level project node and choose the corresponding tab in its detail view. This panel today reports invalid or problematic file locations defined for individual project components. In a future release of Opensphere this view will offer functionality that lets you correct reported inconsistencies, including synchronize the project structure with the underlying file system structure.
waclaw
centeractive people

Postby waclaw » 08 Oct 2012, 19:48

Thanks uminder for your extensive explanation, it's clear to me now.

Just one more thing: what happens if "Automatically define name and location of messaging component files" option is not selected?
urs.minder
centeractive people

Postby urs.minder » 17 Oct 2012, 18:11

If "Automatically define name and location of messaging component files" option is not selected, the program prompts the required information from the user. If you create a new messaging component and define some messages to be published for example, Opensphere requests the name and location of the message file as soon as you try to close the properties dialog. If you previously already saved the defined messages to a file by pressing the "Save" button, the program does not need additional information.
jonnblaze

Postby jonnblaze » 30 Jul 2013, 06:45

The message definition file is not renamed either if you change the name of a messaging component. Opensphere displays a resource overview when you select the top level project node and choose the corresponding tab in its detail view. :!:
Envision Web Hosting Envision Web Hosting
actualtests scwcd actualtests scwcd
actualtests 350-018 actualtests 350-018

Return to “General Opensphere Topics”